What a mother says to her heart-broken son !

“I know I shouldn’t still interfere with your life. I will still not.. today.” A 50 year old mother still speaks with the same pain that she can recollect when he bled himself in an accident in his childhood.

He had a cold look on his face not wanting to speak with his mother. He refused to pay attention towards her. All he wanted was the “space” thing which his mother was ignorant of.

“I can never forget the time when one day you suddenly seemed so happy.” Mother continued.  “I could actually guess what happened . Your incessant talking on phone. Checking for the message every time. Suddenly the phone which was our phone became your phone. You locked it away and remained cautious of any one going close to it. I knew it was a yes from her. Who was she? Never knew.”

“Then on your birthday you brought your friends. All seven of them, who had a great bash that day. But, you looked confused. You constantly searched for someone and I could see from her eyes as she assured you her presence. She was the one I knew. Long beautiful hair. Dove shaped eyes and a perfect peacock colored kurta perfectly dressed over her tenous body.”

“That night you slept at two am, constantly running into the balcony for phone coverage. All I knew yes! You were in love. Two years your face glowed like a sun. I always wanted you to have your ‘space’. Hehe”

“After all what is permanent? I could see all those signs of happiness which once engraved your face melting away slowly. I decided to leave those problems to you since you might get embarrassed discussing it with me. I was once tempted to ask you after I heard you sobbing under the blanket.”


“Then one day everything stopped. I learnt, she left you. The history repeated as always. ‘A girl leaves a boy heartbroken’. I never knew why? It didn’t matter to me. All that mattered to me was that your health deteriorated as you lost your appetite. You stopped exercising. Stomach ulcers frequently caught you up. You breathed less and got exhausted easily.”

“At times you laughed so much. At times you stayed aloof in the corner near the window. In the dark while we had dinner, you wrapped it up as a ritual.”

“The phone stopped ringing and the frequent message tone which once irritated me, were nowhere to be heard. I knew it was a disaster! That something had definitely changed.”

“You didn’t cry that day. Something was definitely on your mind I knew. That warm afternoon I asked you to sleep. As you lied on the bed thinking , I went fast asleep.”

“A terror woke me up as if I was still in the dream. Someone banged the door so hard and frequent, my ears turned deaf and eyes so awake as if they never slept. I searched for you with fear but you were nowhere. I really got scared.”

“It was Rita aunty. Someone had jumped from the terrace she said. Why it had to be my son?”

The mother sobbed like a child. And she cried until her eyes burnt red.

“That girl you died for! She has got another boyfriend. It isn’t her mistake though. Life will move on for her. For me? It will get stuck for ages to come. It is always every mother’s will to die of old age in the arms of her child. And when those arms are no longer there, I will die every moment until finally I will breathe my last without any resistance.”

They all lifted his body for cremation as she hugged and kissed his cheek for the last time. Memories of her son holding her hand for the first time, when she was joyful when he put his first schoolbag on his shoulder.


Her nerves weakened as mother wanted to see this all as a bad dream. Her mind went dizzy. She fainted…

Many more articles:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be

The opposites

How to travel into the future